Thursday, September 20, 2012

August 27, 2012

We almost fired the American woman who resides in our Garmin and reinstated the Australian woman we used for a couple of years. The American woman was confused all day. Worst of all, she led us into a couple of traffic jams and 102 degree weather. The Australian woman we used to use would never have gotten us into the same situation. 


As it worked out, we stumbled upon some places we would probably not have visited. We stopped at a General Store in the middle of nowhere which sold Nathan’s Hot Dogs and had a machine where Carole could add yet another smashed penny to her collection. One of the women working in the store told me that she was from Morgan Town, West Virginia. In return, I told her that my ancestors were from just north of Morgan Town in Union Town, Pa.

Next, we stopped at a place which was part of the set for Dances with Wolves. I usually like Costner in westerns, but Carole and I thought Dances with Wolves was about two hours too long. I can only assume that Costner was trying to match Gone with the Wind in length. However, Carole got another penny for her collection.

  
Best of all, we spent about an hour with two real craftsmen. One guy made knifes; the other guy made ropes. We both like watching great craftsmen. Carole enjoys watching them because she knows she could do what they are doing; I enjoy watching them because I know that I could never do what they are doing. I was enthralled with the knife-maker. He really “makes them,” from the original chunk of steel and subsequent bakings through the final polishing. He spends about 40 hours, over a month, making one knife. He also has an incredible knowledge of the history of knife-making. I asked him about the Damascus knifes the Crusaders encountered, and he explained their process and the steel they used. The guy was clearly a master, the type of guy who made Jim Bowie’s eponymous knife.
  
Carole found the knife guy equally interesting, but also enjoyed the “rope maker,” who had a shed next door to the knife maker. After about ten minutes, I tried to give Carole subtle signs that it was time to go. Sadly, she found the guy interesting. She helped him make a rope, and he taught her how to twirl a rope ala Will Rogers. She ended up buying the rope that she had helped make. I suppose she will be twirling the thing around the house when we get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment