Thursday, September 20, 2012

September 10, 2012

I WOKE UP HUNGRY and walked about a quarter of a mile in near darkness to the restaurant out by the road. Aware of the bear issue, I considered my options. There was no way I was going to clap and sing songs as the ranger had suggested. Someone might hear me or, worse yet, see me. There was also no way I was going to flop down on the gravel road. I decided that if I saw a bear, I would simply act casual and maybe give it a little wave.
 
We lounged around the cabin , and emerged only to drive into Jackson, some forty miles away. On our drive, we stopped several times to stare at the magnificent Tetons. Particularly impressive was the Cathedral Group which consists of several tall mountains, the tallest of which is the Grand Teton (13,770 feet). Its imposing height discourages day-hikers and picnickers.
Jackson, with a population of nearly 9,000, is one of the largest towns in the state. Supposedly, it is a hangout for the rich and famous. We didn’t see anyone famous, but we may have seen some rich people. You can’t always spot rich people. Famous people are easier to spot because they usually wear large sun glasses. We planned to return to the Sidewinder for dinner, the place we watched the first half on the Packer game; but it was closed. Because I was hungry, we stopped at the first place we saw – a Mexican pizza joint. After savoring our dinner, I concluded that the owner didn’t know much about either pizza or Mexican food. We then drove back to the lodge/cabin.

1 comment:

  1. The bear paragraph made Ken and I laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete